Monday, March 19, 2007

Sleeping beauty

Since we purchased Franny's toddler bed, I have been reluctant to attempt the actual transition. Selfishly, I had visions of her repeatedly hopping out of bed, and me spending my last few precious moments in the evening trying to get her to stay in bed and go to sleep. And while Franny seemed to like the bed, her interest seemed rather minimal, so I have waited, intending to use her interest as my guide. I have learned that it is futile to rush Franny to do anything; she has her own agenda, from which she does not waver. In the meantime, I have forced myself to be patient, knowing that her little brother wouldn't really need it for quite some time, anyway.

However, two days ago, after waking up half-way through her nap extremely upset, I picked her up until she drifted off to sleep. During this time, both my back and abdomen cramped and I knew there was no way I would be able to get her back into her crib. So, I put her down on the toddler bed, where she slept quite contently for the rest of her nap. Today, I again put her down in her bed for her nap, and as I first, listened to her chatter on and then, have the phone ring, I thought for sure she would be up and in the hall in no time. But, to my amazement, she went to sleep, business as usual. And tonight, she requested--quite emphatically--that she wanted to sleep in her bed. It is too soon to tell if this will mark the onset of her big transition. But time will tell!



Franny and her sleeping essentials: Lena the tiger, Miss Kitty, PJs of her choice, striped blanket, green blanket, and water

1 comment:

cherl said...

Hooray for Franny!!